Volunteer at the Redlight
- Front desk / reception / bar / house keeping: with possible minimal cooking. This is the main need we have throughout the year.
- Snow Clearing: Between December and March, the snow flies. We have to clear it so we can get to the front door and around the building.
- English Teacher: Have you taught ESL? We can set you up with instruction books and a possible 5 hour course to get started. This is between December and March as well as June and August.
- A PCT Trail Angel driver: (if you have a car). The PCT trailhead is 15 minutes away at Donner Pass. The hikers are always looking for a way to get to town. We want a volunteer to pick them up and take them between Truckee and the trailhead.
- Murals: Are you an artist? Are you interested in painting murals or creating sculptures or found object art? Our space is still relatively new and have left many spaces blank to be filled like a canvas. We love it when our community contributes to helping us build our space. This type of help is needed between April through June, October to mid December.
- Gardening: Although we have limited space around the building, we are looking for help from April through August.
- Events Coordination: We have started planning events to put on throughout the year, i.e. Open Mic nights, Burlesque Shows, Magic Shows.
- Activity Concierge: Do you like to hike, bike and climb? We need people who will help our guests and residents get outside and enjoy the area. Maybe you take them for a walk around town too.Do you love the snow and mountains, or want to meet travelers and people from other cultures? Do you love wearing costumes and hats, singing, dancing or juggling? Do you play music? We’re looking for creative people who would enjoy a space where they get to be eccentric and gregarious. Help us create a magical experience for every guest who comes here. We would love for you join us and and become part of our family.
We want people to stay with us who are interested in doing things and immersing themselves in the hostel, resort and Truckee communities. We would like you to share your adventures with other guests to make them feel welcome and well oriented when they come to town to play. We are looking for people who will learn about the area and help us share what to do with other guests. We are ideally looking for someone who is not only outgoing, but cares about others too and who will help us maintain an environment that is friendly and feels like home.
It’s imperative our volunteers are easy going, and very accepting of a social environment. Computer skills are a plus.
This is not the ideal space for heavy smokers, drinkers or partiers, though social abilities are verrry helpful. We love to have parties, but aren’t a party hostel. Please apply if only if you like being around people and sharing communal space.
Shifts range from 0 to 5 hours per day with up to 3 to 5 days / week. A 3 month stay is preferred.
Volunteers should come away from this experience with knowledge of operations of a hostel, additional computer skills, problem solving and experience in the tasks outlined above. If you already have some of this experience, even better!
We offer a private bunk in a shared dorm setting or possibly a small private space akin to Harry Potter’s room. Quarters are tight and there is very little private space. Bathrooms and showers are down the hall or on another floor. The hostel offers free wi-fi and use of all the facilities. Helpers get discounts! Helpers have first pick of free food (there is always tons of different food available during high season). Our kitchen has condiments, spices and oils for cooking. We also have a coffee maker, which usually has free coffee available next to it left by other weekend-only guests. We also have a bar/reception area that has a rotating free snack/tapas menu that can range anywhere from popcorn, fries, soups, hummus plates, etc. We may serve tapas when groups gather. However, helpers must provide their own regular meals. Additional compensation is possible depending on the work arrangement.